Alec Baldwin shows why he’s hosted SNL 17 times (and been invited back all season).
Alec Baldwin has hosted SNL 17 times. 17. Times. He’s been spending a lot of time this season showing up to play Trump (which is one advantage of having him in NYC), but it was nice of the show to give him a chance to show just why he keeps getting invited back. He showed a lot of range over the night, and there was a lot to enjoy here.
What You Missed
Cold Open: Sean Spicer
More Melissa McCarthy! I’m surprised they’re already returning to this well, but it is most welcome (and was such a huge hit last week). Plus, KATE AS JEFF SESSIONS. Please have her play every cabinet member.
Alec is hosting for the 17th time! Having Pete join him as they ran through his previous appearances was great.
This was beautifully executed, everyone. Job well done.
Doing a Fatal Attraction take on Kellyanne Conway’s ostracism from the news media has been great
- Michael Che on the travel ban is fantastic.
- “If there’s one thing that makes racists better, it’s age”
- “I hope he quits. I mean, Donald, is this how you wanna spend the last 2 years of your life?”
- KATE AS ELIZABETH WARREN. YES.
- Guy Who Just Got a Boat had some great Valentine’s Day advice
- There’s a very good Gary Busey joke in this week’s Weekend Update
- Leslie and Mikey as a couple who tries S&M b/c of 50 Shades of Gray were delightful
The People’s Court
As we all know, a sketch premise introduced in the cold open must become a sketch by the end of the show. Thus: Trump on the People’s Court
Tracy Morgan and Keenan as Beyonce’s twins was great casting.
Leslie Wants To Play Trump
This was an excellent callback to Kyle/Leslie’s relationship from early in the season, AND the chatter that was going on this week.
One joke, perfectly executed. Mikey Day’s really having a breakout season, and I love his willingness to throw himself into things like this.
What You Didn’t Miss
- The Cheetos Pitch Meeting didn’t really work for me.
- Drill Sergeant, like Gym Teacher, only had one real joke. It was just an okay one, though.