Kristin Wiig and The XX give us an SNL we can be thankful for right before Thanksgiving.
There’s something nice about the way SNL schedules former cast members to host right about when the writing team has to be running on fumes after 3 weeks on in the season. Having a host who’s been through the trenches can only help in the writing process. Kristen Wiig is one of the biggest stars that’s emerged from the show in the last few years, so it’s always interesting to see the weird energy she brings to the rest of the cast.
What You Missed:
At least we still have Kate McKinnon’s Kellyanne Conway. And Jason Sudeikis’ Mitt Romney popping in.
As I said in the intro, it’s always nice when a former SNL player comes home to roost. Thanksgiving truly is the most magical Thursday of the year, and I liked the little details of this thanksgiving song. Also Steve Martin and Will Forte showed up! And so did musical guest The XX as wisemen?
“Small farms with the rawest milk you’ve ever tasted”
I liked the continuity that Keenan’s host is taking over for Bill Hader’s old host
This was pitch perfect
QVC Guest Host Reel
I didn’t know where this sketch was going to go, but I loved it.
It’s been a while since I’ve discussed the musical performances on the show, but I thought The XX sounded the best out of some of the recent guests (excluding maybe Solange a few weeks ago). I’m really loving both of the songs they played and looking forward to hearing more of what’s on I See You when it comes out in January.
- “but it’s all worth it to help a millionaire go night-night in his big boy bed”
- Pete Davidson does his usual thing
- Keenan’s character Willie has never been my favorite and this was no exception.
Thanksgiving in NYC
This was terrifying and hilarious.
Whiskers R We
“a cat is an angel that poops in a box”
Cut for Time: Thanksgiving Foods
This should have totally replaced one of the sketches you didn’t miss.
What You Didn’t Miss:
- The Anderson Cooper 360 sketch took too long to get to its main joke and it didn’t really work for me.
- Of all Kristen Wiig’s characters, I think only Gilly ranks below Sue (who can’t handle a surprise) as far as which ones I least want a reprise of.