Drake does just okay in his second time as SNL host/musical guest.
Drake is no stranger to Studio 8H, having been musical guest a few times and host once before. Maybe it’s just close to the end of the season, but this time around, things felt a little more lackluster. More than a few sketches didn’t really have solid beginning/end structures, or anything resembling a joke. Still, there were a few gems in there.
What You Missed
Trump Cold Open
Darrell Hammond’s Donald Trump impression is the only redeeming quality of his current campaign. Bobby did some great supporting work here as Chris Christie
Drake shaved his beard! He’s sooooo Canadian. Also, this is an appropriate host for a musical monologue about memes.
Okay, the Rihanna portion is rough, but the rest is pretty good.
American Ninja Warrior
I knew exactly where this was going, but that didn’t stop it from being hilarious.
“It’s almost as if his heart is in the wrong place, but his body is complete junk”
PBS: Sexy Kinda Evening with Dennis Walls & the Cookies
This had me from the Charlise/Ronald interaction.
Speaker of the House
Baby Boss! It’s been a while since we’ve seen this guy, but I’m so happy they found a new angle to bring Beck back in this way.
- Update going in on Trump’s fake publicist reveal
- Olya! With Russia and Ukraine dominating Eurovision, Olya was a welcome guest at the desk
- Bathroom Bill does sound like the perfect name for a bathroom perfect
- Leslie Jones on following your drams at any age is inspirational
- Jay Pharaoh with another Secret Rappers Meeting update is great
“The only Jeopardy! that shares a studio with Tavis Smiley”
Drake getting in increasingly petty fights with SNL cast/crew members (and continually referencing Josh Gad for some reason) is some good comic heightening
What You Didn’t Miss
- The Car Rental sketch started nowhere and really went nowhere. It was a character piece, but with characters I didn’t really care about
- The Chaperone sketch at the end of the night was similarly aimless, but at least had Drake’s breaking going for it.