Imagine how bad a Donald Trump episode of SNL seemed like it would be. Now multiply that by 100. It’s worse than that.
I have no idea why Donald Trump agreed to host SNL while he’s still running for president. All of the sketches he was in (which he only seemed interested in barely being in) were defined by a blandness that erased any and all segments that could have been funny because he’s seemingly afraid of losing his political lead. Add this to Trump being someone who doesn’t seem to be the type to enjoy jokes about themselves AND the kind of bad acting skills that only sports stars really bring to SNL’s cue card reading, and you have a recipe for an utterly disappointing episode of SNL. And I say that as someone who went in with really low expectations on this one.
One thing I found both surprising (and not really that surprising, in hindsight) was how little screentime Trump actually showed up for, given that he was the host. If I had to estimate, I’d say Trump appeared in 12-15 minutes of the show, tops. And that’s being generous and including pre-taped appearances in the filmed bits from this week’s show. In all of his appearances, Trump seemed loath to do anything outside of being Trump, which doesn’t work so great with sketch comedy, it turns out. If the host doesn’t really want to do the duties associated with hosting, why are they hosting?
What You Missed:
Democratic Candidates Forum
- “Did you get here okay? Did you have a good flight?” as the only question to O’Malley was great
- Kate’s Hilary remains transcendent
- Larry David! Again! Bernie Sanders wants your vacuum pennies
This sketch was an absolute diamond after a terrible Trump 2018 sketch. Perfect combination of MIA’s “Bad Girls” and questionably bad behavior. The women of SNL are killing it this season.
“You know what I’m going to do? Tip 20% because service work is hard and we don’t know what’s going on with her day”
Martin Short! Why isn’t he hosting this episode? Even Donald’s brief cameo (as an accountant, but one with no real difference in costume besides adding a pair of stereotypical nerd glasses) can’t ruin this one.
- Jost/Che on Ben Carson’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week was fantastic
- Leslie Jones on relationships is always welcome
- “Don’t send me vegetables! Send me some MEAT”
- It makes sense that Drunk Uncle is a Trump fan. His reaction to “Hilary Clinton?” was priceless
What You Didn’t Miss:
- Trump’s monologue was safe and Darrel Hammond showing up to do his great impression of Trump at the end was the only redemptive part.
- The White House 2018 sketch was offensively bland and the exact reason someone like Trump should not have been allowed to host while running a campaign.
- The Livetweeting sketch would have been better if Donald Trump was actually livetweeting a sketch instead of pretending to livetweet one.
- The band solo sketch could have been halfway decent with a host that seemed willing to play characters outside of a specific narrow range or who even was willing to fully participate in the sketch.
- “Mr Crocker” was my kind of weird, but it didn’t quite make sense. (It also doesn’t appear to have been posted online)
- They brought the Cryssuls Girls for this?